The best online acting classes can help you gain the skills and confidence you need to be a better performer and to take the next steps in building your career.
Acting is a talent that requires a lot of nurturing and training to refine. And you can only gain expertise in this art if you’re aware of all the acting skills, techniques, and platforms there are out there.
The good news is you don’t have to pay for expensive acting classes to become a better performer. Thanks to all of the online course platforms that have come out in recent years, you can now take acting classes online led by professional, award-winning coaches all from the comfort of your home.
While there are tons of online acting classes out there, not all are created equal and there are questions you should ask before signing up:
- Who is the teacher and what credentials do they have?
- What kind of acting are they teaching? (e.g. dramatic acting, voice acting, theater, etc.)
- How comprehensive is the class?
- How much do the online acting classes cost?
This guide will help you find the best online acting classes. From professional mentors to award-winning actors, from dramatic acting, voice acting to green screen acting, all the ins and outs of acting have been considered in this article.
This guide has been fully updated for 2023 with all the latest info you need to find the right online acting class to help you reach your goals.
So what are you waiting for? Let’s get started so you can gain the skills you need to become a professional actor!
Disclosure: Some of the links in this article are affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost for you, we might get a commission if you click the link and purchase.
What Are the Best Online Acting Classes?
Here are my top picks for the best acting classes online you should check out:
- Acting Masterclass by Samuel L. Jackson (Masterclass)
- Acting Masterclass by Helen Mirren (Masterclass)
- Acting Masterclass by Natalie Portman (Masterclass)
- Acting Techniques Masterclass (Skillshare)
- Become an Actor in Film & TV (Skillshare)
- Working with Actors & Non-Actors in Video Production (LinkedIn Learning)
- Acting 101 for Adults (Udemy)
- Acting for Everyone (Udemy)
- Professional 10-Hour Acting Masterclass (Udemy)
- Stage Milk Drama School
1. Acting Masterclass – Samuel L. Jackson
In this acting masterclass, the legendary Samuel L Jackson reveals his methods and techniques for perfecting a role. He covers everything from understanding your character to collaborating with the crew, so you can truly become someone else in front of the camera.
$15 per month (billed annually) to get access to all 180+ online classes offered by Masterclass. See our Masterclass pricing guide for more info.
5 hours(21 lessons)
Samuel L. Jackson is an Oscar-nominated actor featured in more than 100 Hollywood movies and is amongst the most popular and successful actors to exist.
This online acting class from MasterClass (one of our favorite online course websites) will give you a great opportunity to learn from the fine actor himself.
After taking this acting class online, you will improve your core acting abilities and learn how to perform well in auditions, explore multiple character facets, and build professional relationships on set.
Is an extensive course with 21 lectures and worth 5 hours in total for all of them. Furthermore, workbook downloaded material is also provided that consists of lesson recaps and assignments to keep a track of your growth. This course can be also available as an audio recording.
You will learn
- How to develop characters that are both convincing and unforgettable.
- How to use your voice and body language to accurately portray the role
- How to collaborate effectively with the directors, cast, and crew.
- How to audition for a role and boost your acting profession by enhancing your acting practice with daring decisions and risks.
- How to advance in your acting career
- How to analyze a script or a character
I have retained immense knowledge from this course. In fact, I frequently go back to Samuel’s lectures and listen to them again to grasp new concepts each time.
In my opinion, it’s definitely worth the 180/year, because I’ve paid that much for workshops in NYC and walked away with far less.
Best for: Actors starting out in their career and going through the audition process.
2. Acting Masterclass – Helen Mirren
Learn methods for acting on screen or the stage from Helen Mirren, winner of Oscar, Golden Globe, Tony, and Emmy awards.
$15 per month (billed annually) to get access to all 180+ online classes offered by Masterclass. See our Masterclass review for more info.
6 hours (28 lessons)
Taught by Helen Mirren, an Academy Award-winning actress known for her Shakespearean performance, this course will give various valuable acting lessons.
From vocational training to physical appearance, this acting course focuses on all the intricacies of acting that are generally disregarded by others.
This Masterclass series of online acting classes also discuss human behavior and how it may be understood and used to get directors’ or audience’s attention.
This course had discussed Helen’s journey on how she evolved as a theater actress to relate more with the general audience. She shares all the strategies and expertise she has gained over the course of her acting career, which varies from television and film to theatre.
The material of the lessons is vast and in-depth. With 28 video lessons of a total of 6 hours and 17 minutes, this course can be accessed on all devices including mobiles and TVs.
You will learn
- How to analyze and comprehend a script
- How to research for a fictional or real character
- How to prepare and rehearse properly
- Importance and individuality of character’s costume and hair
- How to develop acting skills for movies and theatres or dramas
- Understand and apply the concept of “naturalism”
Helen has given me an exhaustive exploration of the dimensions of acting. Thank you, Helen Mirren, for sharing your myriad acting experiences. The sensibilities you have revealed necessary for your craft have given me the assurance that I can write, act and produce stories about my own inner journeys.
Best for: Beginners and seasoned actors as it focuses on both the basics as well as advanced acting skills
3. Acting Masterclass – Natalie Portman
Academy Award winning-actor Natalie Portman reveals her secrets for creating memorable, relatable characters and powerful performances in this online acting course.
$15 per month (billed annually) to get access to all 180+ online classes offered by Masterclass.
2 hours (20 video lessons)
An Academy Award winner as well as a Golden Globe winner, Natalie Portman has been a successful child artist as well as a filmmaker. Being a professional artist, she has shared all tricks and tips she has learned from her experience in this series of online acting classes.
In this acting class online, case studies are discussed to gain a better understanding of different characters and techniques used.
In these online acting classes, Natalie has produced 20 video lessons that span over a total of 2 hours and 37 minutes.
This acting course can be downloaded and comes with a workbook to help you practice your learning. The assignments provided are extensive and can be assessed and reviewed easily.
You will learn
- How to get acquainted with your character
- How to develop your skills to act like the actor
- How to change your accent or dialect as per the need of character
- How to improvise and give strong performance
- How to act in front of a green screen
- How to act in front of a camera
- How to work professionally on a set
I just transitioned to film acting so this class was very new and informative for me. I loved how she broke down the character development process. That was the biggest building block for me. She explained everything in key detail. I am astounded by how in-depth her work is when it comes to character analysis, collaborating with the director and connection with the scene and space.
Best for: Any amateur who has a basic understanding of acting and wants to improvise their acting skills and abilities.
4. Acting Techniques Masterclass – Learn 9 Different Techniques From 9 Master Teachers (Skillshare)
Skillshare offers a 1-Month Free Trial. After that, the price is $165 per year, billed annually, giving you unlimited access to tens of thousands of online classes offered by Skillshare.
Self-paced (13 lessons)
This course has every important technique there is to be learned from their respective experts. With 13 videos, each taught by a master teacher, this online acting class is a total of 40 minutes.
This short online acting course will provide you insight into different acting techniques.
This course will help build up the acting concepts to improvise on acting skills.
It can also be taught as a beginner’s course for actors who want to modify their acting approach to a different technique.
With 9 different techniques being taught, this online acting class makes sure you have at least one reliable technique in your toolbox. It will help you recognize and use which acting technique to use and where to use. It’s a hands-on course in which you’ll learn how to apply and understand all of the acting theory to life.
At the end of the course, a class project is assigned to each individual to practice their Meisner technique. This project is then sent to the tutor to receive feedback on it.
You can try Skillshare free for one month and take this course at no cost during that time.
You will learn
- How to understand and determine the best acting techniques
- How to implement different acting techniques
- How to work with the Stanislavsky Technique
- How to work with the Adler Technique
- How to work with the Viola Spolin Technique
- How to work with the Chekhov Technique
- How to work with the Meisner Technique
- How to apply practical aesthetics
- How to work with the Uta Hagen Technique
- How to work with the Strasberg Method
- How to work with the Actor’s Foundry Technique
This is a nice overview about some techniques for practicing. Gives you a feeling of how to get into a character/role
If you are a beginner or someone who has just stepped into the acting world, this course will provide you valuable insights on how to amp up your acting game!
Best for: Anyone interested in learning new performing techniques. Beginners or those who want to brush up on their skills would benefit from this course.
5. Become an Actor in Film and TV | Your 4-Part Guide to Start Acting Today! (Skillshare)
Skillshare offers a 1-Month Free Trial. After that, the price is $165 per year, billed annually, giving you unlimited access to tens of thousands of online classes offered by Skillshare. See our Skillshare pricing guide for more info.
Self-paced (29 lessons)
Looking for a platform to take a leap towards acting? Well, look no further!
Enroll in this course and be confident, as by the end of this online acting course, you will be ready to begin your acting career.
This class will put your acting skills to use. It will provide you with all the information and tools required to break into the professional acting industry.
It is an elaborative course of … hours consisting of … lectures.
Each lecture in this online acting class is highly engaging and will give you a jump start towards an acting career.
A step-by-step acting business plan is constructed that assists you to plan and be ready for real and meaningful action.
The four pillars of stepping into the field of acting will be addressed in this course.
You can try Skillshare free for one month and take this course at no cost during that time.
You will learn
- How to position yourself for success – learn what sets you apart from the other professionals.
- How to refine your unique product – understand your point of differentiation from others to be the first choice for everyone.
- How to create your acting toolbox- set up your tools like your resume and headshot on hiring websites
- How to market your acting business- learn where to find and submit for auditions
- How to project yourself with confidence
This course was just.. beautiful. Pursuing acting can seem scary but the way it was broken down here makes it feel more achievable than it ever has. I’m excited for the future. Thanks Luara for all the info!
Best for: Budding TV & movie actors
6. Working with Actors and non-actors in Video Production (LinkedIn Learning)
One-month free trial, then LinkedIn Learning pricing is $39.99/monthly or $19.99/month if you pay for one year upfront. Your subscription gives you unlimited access to thousands of online classes on the platform.
Taught by the filmmaker Kelley Slagle, this course is a know it all course in all aspects. You will benefit from her on-screen and off-screen expertise to master all of the practical skills that any actor should possess.
This short course is not limited for the learning of actors only; it is inclusive as well who work behind the camera. From taking right casting decisions to conducting interviews or focusing on delicate issues and children, this course covers it all for you.
Furthermore, a shareable certificate is provided with the course to be added to your resume.
You can use LinkedIn Learning’s one-month free trial period to take this as a free online acting class!
You will learn
- How to cast the relevant and appropriate talent
- How to break down character and script for better understanding of actors
- How to run productive rehearsals
- How to mingle and engage with actors and non-actors on set
Really impressed by this course. It is extremely helpful for all first time directors supervising the production process!
Best for: Actors who are also interested in video production and directing
7. Acting 101 for Adults (Udemy)
$24.99 for the whole course with a 30-day money-back guarantee (Udemy pricing varies by course)
7 hours on-demand video
Taught by Aaron Jackson, a well-known actor, this course will give you insights into acting strategies and help the students develop and uncover their acting abilities. He uses a simplistic and practical approach towards the fundamental strategies of acting in all the sessions.
All the training provided in this online acting course is relevant and comprehensive.
This acting class online is made up of 17 lectures that cover the business and commercial aspects of acting. Its topics are subjective to interaction with agents and marketers, identifying your acting persona, audition and monologue preparation, casting and commercial auditioning, and how to become a better actor and gain more opportunities in this field.
These online acting lectures are produced in high quality and are engaging.
Acting 101 for adults class consists of 7 hours of video, available for viewing offline on any device. Lifetime access is given to the resources including assignments and videos are provided. A certificate of completion is provided once you’re with the course which can then be added to your CV as well.
You will learn
- Variety of techniques used by successful actors
- How to prepare for resumes and monologues to auditions
- How to present yourself during auditions
- How to study the scene, plot, etc.
- How to recognize your personality for branding and marketing yourself
- How to understand a character better for each role
- How to ace tips and secrets on how to succeed in Hollywood and local markets
There was a lot of great information in this course. He touched on everything that an actor would need to know about.
This is a great course. You learn about stepping into character, entertainment industry (agent), being on set with camera and crew, and auditioning. Most importantly, you can apply this course to anything you’re working on in your life, for example, speaking in front of groups, producing for film or tv, and writing film or tv scripts. A lot of great information. Thank you!
Best for: Adults who want to pursue acting as their professional career.
8. Acting For Everyone (Udemy)
$49.99 for the whole course. A 30-day money-back guarantee if the student decides to opt out of the course any time within this time period.
2 hours on-demand videos
This online course consists of a total of 23 highly engaging videos to strengthen your career in acting. All the classes are not dependent on each other hence you can watch each class as per your need. With several exercises, you can have extensive practice of your concepts and check your progress as you go.
Taught by Serena Greenslade, this course is highly interactive where she teaches the concept, and then the student is provided with an opportunity to practice it before they jump to the next lesson of this course. From acting for fun for your dramatics society to acting professionally, this course does it all for you.
Focus on your body movements to your facial expressions is emphasized in these classes. From exaggerated movements for a theatre to silent movements, all are encouraged and enlightened.
Once the course is paid for, lifetime access to all the course materials are provided along with a course completion certificate.
You will learn
- How to show emotions and different roles (or characters) using your body, face, and voice.
- How to maintain a confident demeanor in every situation
- How to stay at ease and not have stage fright
- How to prepare for acting exams and auditions
- How to create a sense of feeling and mood through acting techniques
I really enjoyed this course. The course instructor is considerate and makes you feel welcomed. The short lessons made it easy to add to my busy schedule, and the activities are fun!
Very nice course, I don’t have much experience with acting and I have found this course interesting and useful. I love the way Serena explains things, her calm and enthusiastic ways are wonderful. She seems to have much experience in what she’s teaching. Thank you Serena!
Best for: Beginners and amateur actors who have a desire to become successful actors or just want to learn acting for fun.
9. Professional 10 Hour Acting MASTERCLASS (Udemy)
$129.99 with a 30-day money-back guarantee included.
10 hours on-demand videos
This is one of the most extensive online acting classes and is best-selling on Udemy with a rate of 4.5.
With an individualized curriculum taught in layman terms for better learning and understanding, this course further facilitates individuals as it can be studied at your own pace from anywhere. Once the course is bought, users have access to it for a lifetime and a certificate of completion is included in it.
Taught by The Actors Academy, this course will teach all the necessary skills that are required and will be practical and useful for your acting career. It is a very comprehensive course of 10 hours and 13 minutes which covers all of your acting essentials tricks and tips.
With 32 lectures, it is a step-by-step guide for beginners who finds acting interesting and acts as a hobby or wants to become a professional actor.
You will learn
- How to get into character quickly
- How to act for stage and camera
- How to create characters that are both believable and authentic
- How to prepare through practicing, rehearsing, and auditioning.
- How to portray confidence and maintain professional demeanor with directors
- Will establish a foundation in acting and help gain an understanding of what it takes to be an actor.
It really helped me develop my acting, I was able to easily follow along and take notes. It’s amazing that I can access and look back at all these lectures in the future.
This is such an amazing course! I’d highly recommend this to anyone who is wanting to become an actor! This course truly has it all!
Best for: Anyone who wants to improvise their acting skills and how to get started on their professional career as soon as possible
10. Stage Milk Drama School (Stage Milk Drama School)
One-time payment of $399 for the whole course. There is a 14-day refund guarantee if the student decides not to continue.
This course is designed to be completed in eight weeks, with a different subject assigned each week to help students acquire the art of acting. The modules for these weeks of online acting classes are discovery week, voice, movement, Shakespeare, plays, script work, screen, and landing roles respectively.
All these modules are taught by their respective professionals who specialize in different aspects of acting including hiring agents and Shakespeare specialists. These mentors are accessible for any query or support throughout this course. Furthermore, they will also provide you with specific criticism of your progress.
You will learn
- How to prepare for successful auditions
- How to interpret the script and bring life to your character
- How to act in front of a screen
- How to control your body movement to express your character
- How to find your own distinctive voice
- How to apply Shakespeare literature through acting
It’s clean, crisp, seamless and ultra user friendly. I’m used to slow and clunky systems that are an impediment to learning: yours is a work of beauty.
Best for: Actors in their early career and amateur actors who wish to improve their performance.
Can you take acting classes online?
Yes, there are thousands of online acting classes available that cover just about every facet of acting. Some classes are taught by professional acting coaches while others are even led by famous, award-winning A-list actors.
How do I find acting classes online?
Your best bet is to look for acting classes on trusted online course platforms like Skillshare, LinkedIn Learning, Masterclass, Udemy, and the like.
How do online acting classes compare to in-person acting school?
Online acting courses are much more convenient than going to a local acting school. You can take lessons on your own schedule from wherever you want, and you can get access to some of the most credentialed teachers on the planet by taking an online class.
Is it worth taking acting classes?
Yes, the best online acting classes can teach you powerful techniques to help you hone your craft and become a more marketable actor. However, not all online acting classes are created equal, so do your research to make sure you’re taking a quality course taught by a reputable instructor.
How much are online acting classes?
Acting classes online can vary greatly in cost. There are free online acting classes (usually not very thorough) and paid acting classes that can range from a monthly subscription fee to a one-time lifetime purchase.
How do online acting classes work?
Most online acting classes typically contain a series of pre-recorded lectures that can be taken at your own pace. Along the way, students will often complete various assignments and get real feedback from their teacher.
What age should I start attending acting school?
You can start taking acting classes at just about any age! The roles you are qualified to land will of course vary by your age and physical characteristics.
A Final Word on Online Acting Classes
This guide contains the best online acting courses taught by renowned actors to professional trainers, all teaching lessons with their unique techniques.
Now that you have looked at all the options, we hope you will be able to find the right acting class online for yourself.
All you need is practice and hard work to achieve your acting dreams!
Have a question about finding the best online acting classes? Comment below and we’ll give you a hand.
Other Useful Resources:
- The Best Public Speaking Classes Online
- The Best Instructional Design Training Courses Online
- The Best Voice Over Training Courses Online
- The Best Photoshop Classes Online
1 thought on “The 10 Best Online Acting Classes of 2023 (Free & Paid Options)”
I would like to join for acting class to success for my career