The best math apps for kids can help your children improve their skills and get better grades, all while having fun.
Mathematics is one of the most important skills a child should have today.
Just about every major in college will require math as a prerequisite, so it’s something kids need to know. In particular, Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) fields require their students to be absolutely best at Mathematics.
Even if your child isn’t drawn to STEM, learning Mathematics can be helpful in a myriad of ways. Mathematical thinking bolsters a child’s logical capabilities in all areas of life.
Unfortunately, the modern education system makes it unbearable for many children to learn mathematics, and they end up hating the subject instead of proceeding to learn it. This makes teaching kids math incredibly difficult.
That’s where the best math apps for kids can help.
In the world of advanced technology, where you can learn anything online, you are not restrained to the modern educational institution to learn anything.
Math apps are transforming the subject from something that has children bored out of their skulls into something they can learn while playing and having fun.
Because, after all, children learn best when they are playing instead of in strict classroom settings.
We’ve reviewed and ranked the top math apps available today based on a variety of factors, including curriculum, user-friendliness, fun/excitement, cost, and more.
This guide has been updated for 2023 to include the latest information on all of the top apps for building math skills.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this article are affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost for you, we might get a commission if you click the link and purchase.
What are the Best Math Apps for Kids?
Here are our picks for the top math apps and math programs for kids in 2023:
Noggin is a well-rounded educational app for kids ages 2 to 7 that helps them learn multiple skills in math, reading, creativity, and more through fun games, activities, and lessons featuring their favorite Nick Jr. characters.
Noggin’s math program, called Mighty Minds, helps kids learn their numbers, patterns, matching, shapes, and other foundational math concepts.
Using the power of play and personalization, Noggin builds a tailored learning path for each child and readies him or her for school.
All in all, this is one of the best math apps out there for younger kids.
- Fun math games for kids ages 2 to 7
- Teaches early foundational math concepts kids can build on
- Young kids can learn basic addition and subtraction
- Little ones can practice measuring everyday objects
- A fun, engaging way to learn math
Hooked On Math is the math app from the company that brought you Hooked On Phonics.
With Hooked On Math, kids can start to master basic math concepts in a fun and interactive way. There are more than 130 math games and 160 instructional videos to help students learn at their own pace.
The app uses fun characters, prizes, animated music videos, and more to make learning math fun and engaging for kids ages 4 to 9.
From basic counting to addition and subtraction math problems, Hooked On Math helps kids master everything from basic math skills to more advanced skills.
- 130+ math games
- 30+ animated music videos kids love to teach early math concepts
- Real-time feedback to help kids learn math and correct mistakes
- Weekly parent updates to track your child’s progress
- Up to 3 learners per subscription
Brighterly stands out from other math apps on this list by connecting students with real-life instructors who use interactive lessons to teach math concepts through games, videos, and activities. This approach makes math enjoyable for kids and even entertaining!
The platform’s innovative math curriculums for grades 1-8 are created using the latest study resources, techniques, and information needed to help students reach their academic goals successfully.
With engaging and adaptive lessons designed to meet the needs of individual students, Brighterly helps children build a strong foundation of essential math skills with practice, repetition, and application. Through the app’s personalized, one-on-one instruction and advanced assessment tools, students are able to stay on track and make tangible progress in their mathematical abilities.
One of the ways that Brighterly revolutionizes math education for kids is by encouraging conceptual understanding instead of just memorization, the traditional approach used in public schools. Their innovative method emphasizes the importance of asking “Why” before “What” to deepen children’s understanding of mathematical concepts. This helps students become confident problem solvers, resulting in better performance.
Let’s talk for a minute about the instructors Brighterly uses. The platform only hires teachers with at least 5 years of professional teaching experience and who have the required degrees. In fact, only 2% of those who apply to teach for Brighterly actually make the cut.
Here’s the best part — you can book a free 45-minute demo lesson with Brighterly on a date and time that fits your schedule. This is an excellent way to try before you buy, so you can make sure the app works for your child and their learning style before committing to a full course.
- Personalized learning plans
- Kids start where they are with their math skills
- No-stress approach to learning math
- Interactive activities make lessons fun
- One-on-one tutoring from true experts
Plans start as low as $28/lesson.
HOMER is a personalized learning app designed to help kids fall in love with learning. There are over 1,000 learning activities across all subjects, and the content is tailored to your child's age and interests.
Why have we rated HOMER as one of the best math apps for kids?
HOMER is a completely personalized educational app for children ages 2-8 that helps them learn fundamental skills that will help them with learning in their schools and in life as a whole.
Personalization means the activities and lessons are tailored to your child’s interests and skill level. In other words, it’s not a one-size-fits-all curriculum.
The result? Your child learns at the pace that’s right for them and develops the early math skills they need to succeed later.
Not only do kids learn the early math skills they need to excel, but HOMER also teaches kids a number of other subjects, including reading, critical thinking, and more.
HOMER is developed based on authentic research, and the results speak for themselves.
For example, the reading pathway it had created has shown over 74 percent increase in reading scores of the children.
HOMER helps enhance a child’s capacity to absorb and compete in the classroom.
Some of the skills that HOMER focuses on are Reading, Mathematics, Social and Emotional Learning, Creativity, and Critcal Thinking.
All of these areas are connected as a web and if a child goes through the whole process devised by HOMER then he or she will get the full experience of Homer that will develop their brain in unimaginable ways.
The HOMER method transcends beyond rote learning that we usually see in our educational institutions and, on top of that, it is all backed by research and consistently advised on by the experts.
- Mathematics, Reading, Social and Emotional Learning, Creativity, and Thinking skills are offered to the children.
- There are stages starting from Toddler level up to the age of 8 and beyond. Hence, they have got it all covered.
- Teaches children to identify shapes and learn to count the numbers verbally.
- Backed by research and experts
- A web of connected and well-designed courses is good for a child’s overall development and readies him or her for school.
- Great results when compared to other alternatives.
HOMER pricing across its two plans is as follows:
- Annual Plan: $79.99 per year
- Monthly Plan: $12.99/month
Mathpid is an innovative app, powered by AI, designed to help unlock children’s full mathematical potential.
Built for students from Pre-K to 9th grade, this cutting-edge platform offers personalized AI tutoring, helping kids excel in everything from fundamental arithmetic to advanced algebra.
Mathpid understands that every student learns at their own pace, and as a result, it provides customized learning paths that adjust according to individual progress. These pathways ensure that students master concepts before proceeding.
Additionally, the lessons fully align with the standard curricula in the United States, United Kingdom, India, and South Korea.
What’s really special about this math app is that with real-time AI analysis, students can get immediate 24/7 feedback on their math exercises and quizzes. This enables them to rectify errors and establish a strong foundation.
The Math Camera feature also assists in solving unfamiliar problems, motivating kids to practice similar exercises for a better grasp of concepts. It can even recognize and provide feedback on handwritten math work.
- Detailed AI diagnosis of your child’s math level and needs within 10 problems
- Real-time feedback from an AI tutor 24/7
- Bite-sized video lessons
- Unlimited questions and printable worksheets with QR codes for answer checking available
- Monitor progress easily
- Students can earn points for correct answers and compete for worldwide rankings
6. Monster Math
Monster Math is an app available on iOS and Android devices that was developed by Makkajai Private Limited to help parents worried about their kids’ math fluency.
A monster named Maxx, who is not scary at all, is the main character of the game and it teaches Mathematics to your children in the funniest way possible.
The game will basically teach your kids to learn the most fundamental math concepts with ease. The child helps the monster Maxx to find his friend Dextra by fighting enemies by solving various math problems.
This is a good way for a child to learn math and practice basic math skills in a fun way.
Moreover, it also gives the child the ability to do math mentally given that most children will develop the mental models that will make it easier for them to solve the expressions mentally.
The stereotype of mathematics being a boring subject is no more since games like Monster Math are here to teach it.
- Available for pre-K and K up to grade six. That is why you can put your child in the whole process so that he can move along in a procedural way.
- The game-like structure with a backstory makes this online class of Mathematics interesting.
- Available on Android and iOS devices.
- Children can go for the multiplayer option through which they can compete with their friends online. This creates a sense of bonding and efficiency through competing among the children.
- There are other numerous applications with the same theme which are published by Makkajai Private Limited.
The price of Monster Math is $7.99 and it also has in-app purchases.
Prodigy is one of the greatest math apps out there for students.
It is basically a fantasy game that engages your child while teaching him or her mathematics. This is the best way to teach children since playing grabs their attention more than making them sit in classes for hours.
Prodigy is used by more than a million teachers, 3 million parents, and almost 50 million students around the world.
It offers content of more than 1,500 advanced and basic math skills. The grades that are compatible with the game are from grade one up to grade eight.
DoK levels from one to three are also offered. There are duels among the characters within the game that can be won by solving mathematical expressions. You do not have to worry since the game has a good backstory that stops the child from getting bored. After finishing the duels the game also borrows elements from other Role-Playing games (RPG) like Pokemon. And that too requires them to solve mathematical expressions.
- The application takes the route of fun-filled teaching of core math concepts for the children.
- It has a full-fledged defined procedure through which the children can learn math while advancing in the game.
- The application has an interface that is engaging and easy to understand.
- It has over 1,500 math skills kids can learn.
- The English language game is also on the way.
- It has a customized interface for teachers and parents to help them with teaching their students or children mathematics.
- The game is based on an adaptive system and, hence, it will focus on weak spots for children if any.
- It is offered between the ages of six to fourteen.
- It is available for both platforms: Android and iOS.
- Prodigy Basic is free
- Prodigy Monthly is offered with two variations. One is called Prodigy Level Up which is offered at $9.95 per month while the other one is Prodigy Ultimate which is offered at $14.95.
This math program for kids focuses on structural and discipline-based learning for children.
Elephant Learning Math Academy provides a math program for kids that is 3 months long…a course that gives a child training in mathematics that is usually taught in a year in the modern education system.
The only requirement is that your child gives 30 minutes each week to the Elephant Learning Math Academy. A recommendation is that it must be 10 minutes for 3 days per week.
Up to 1.2 million children are already taught by the application and on average a child takes up to 18 months to go through the whole process. And, no doubt, it does give results.
Elephant Learning Math Academy also uses gamification and adaptive learning. That means that the game will adapt to the weak spots displayed by children and will help them strengthen through really fun and engaging them.
- There are demonstration videos for people to learn about the interface and technicalities in order to help the children with it.
- Elephant Learning Math Academy has an evaluation procedure to assess the children to figure out where they stand and how to manipulate the game with Artificial intelligence running in the background to strengthen their weaknesses.
- Though it is considered supplementary, it covers the essential topics so you do not have to worry about that.
- The guarantee about the performance suggests that Elephant Learning Math Academy will refund if the child does not perform after gaining a year of an Elephant age which requires 10 months with 30 minutes per week.
- This application also focuses on discipline-building in children.
- Great for kids ages 2 to 6 starting to learn math
- It is available for both platforms: Android and iPhone.
Elephant Learning is priced at $50/month for a single student or $90/month for a family plan. Annual discounts are available.
DoodleMaths was co-founded by Nicola Chillman and Tom Minor for providing one of the best ways to teach children Mathematics.
This math app contains adaptive learning technology that tailors the content of the app to the child in such a way that it helps the child with his or her weaknesses and strengths. This technology is currently booming and many good teachers have opted for this technique in classrooms and in the use of technology.
Even the worldwide standardized aptitude tests are based on adaptive testing methods which manipulate the level of difficulty of the questions based on the previous performance of the person who is taking the exam.
The DoodleMaths app has an attractive and easy interface that proves itself really good for children.
There is also a parent’s tab that will give them the statistics that show their child’s performance.
- Provides different interfaces for families and schools. It means that schools can also implement this system on their computers and check the progress of students and make decisions accordingly.
- Available on Google Play Store, App Store, and Amazon App store
- The application is also good for developing your child’s aptitude in English alongside Mathematics.
- Both co-founders are experienced teachers and have applied it in Doodle Math.
- For ages 4-14.
Another great mathematics education app worth a look is CK-12.
The main aim of this organization is to increase access to educational tools for the population for free. These are mostly Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) subjects that are offered by the organization.
Mostly, these subjects are learned through hard copy texts that make it really boring for the children and, hence, difficult to learn. However, CK-12 offers an engaging method for teaching students these things.
The methods that are used by CK-12’s math program for kids include text descriptions, video lectures, multimedia simulations, practical experiments, flashcards, and photo galleries. This is the kind of variety that will help your child along with his or her STEM-related education.
A strong basis in these subjects is vital for any child who later on chooses STEM as his or her primary field of study.
That’s why CK-12’s math program for kids gives them the opportunity to overcome the deficits in their knowledge and understanding of STEM subjects left by the contemporary education system.
Simply put, this is one of the best free math apps out there
- CK-12 has an interconnected web of subjects that teach STEM knowledge in totality.
- Includes math programs for elementary students, high school students, and everyone in between.
- There are certified educators monitoring the child’s learning process.
- The application provides an online community for discussions of these subjects that add up to the education of your child.
- There are Flex books, webinars, and several other math practice opportunities that strengthen muscle memory. This will help them while taking their examination.
- It provides an adaptive learning process where the content is changed as per the strengths and weaknesses of the child.
- Math exercises for ages 4-18
- It is available on Google Play Store, App Store, and Web.
This is a totally free math app.
Why Are Math Apps So Important?
Mathematics is one of the most important subjects in the contemporary world.
There are a lot of specializations in this very field. Apart from that, it is a part of almost all other fields of knowledge.
A strong foundation in mathematics is tantamount to a great career in both research and other types of employment.
Caring about your child’s education in Mathematics is vital to their future success.
The above math apps are the top picks in the market for teaching Mathematics.
What we should be looking for in such applications is mainly their technique of teaching. Since this is the most important thing for a child. What most applications lack is their element of engagement with children.
It is really hard to engage children with the age group we are looking for. What we need is some sort of playing with learning since a child learns more this way than any other way. Let’s hope for the best and try the application listed above.
Key Features To Look For In Math Apps For Kids
There are numerous options out there to choose from, and you as a parent might feel confused and unsure of how to choose the best math app for your kid.
When trying to find the best math apps for kids, here are a few of the things that matter:
1. Educational Content: Ensure the app aligns with your child’s age and grade level. Look for apps that cover a range of math topics, from basic arithmetic to more advanced concepts.
2. Engagement and Fun: Choose apps that are engaging and enjoyable for your child, with interactive features and colorful graphics. Check for gamified elements that make learning fun, such as rewards, challenges, or character customization.
3. Adaptability: Opt for apps that adapt to your child’s skill level and provide personalized learning experiences. Look for apps that offer a variety of difficulty levels to accommodate different learners.
4. Clear Instructions and Tutorials: Ensure the app provides clear instructions and tutorials to help your child understand new concepts. Look for apps that offer hints or step-by-step guidance when your child encounters difficulties.
5. Progress Tracking:
Choose apps that allow you to track your child’s progress and performance.
Look for features that provide insights into their strengths and areas needing improvement.
6. Offline Access: Consider whether the app requires an internet connection or if it can be used offline. Offline access can be convenient for learning on the go or in areas with limited connectivity.
8. Cost and In-App Purchases: Determine the app’s pricing structure and whether it offers a free trial. Be aware of any in-app purchases or subscriptions and ensure they align with your budget.
9. Reviews and Recommendations: Read reviews from other parents and educators to gauge the app’s quality and effectiveness. Seek recommendations from trusted sources or educational websites.
10. Compatibility and Device Support: Ensure the app is compatible with the devices your child will use, whether it’s a smartphone, tablet, or computer. Check if the app is available on the appropriate app stores or platforms.
11. Feedback and Support: Look for apps that provide feedback to help your child understand their mistakes and improve. Check if customer support is available in case you encounter any issues or have questions.
12. Learning Goals and Curriculum Alignment: Determine if the app aligns with your child’s specific learning goals or follows a curriculum relevant to your child’s educational needs.
A Final Word On Math Apps
If you want your child to do better in math, there are some great apps out there that can help. Apps can make learning fun, which helps kids better absorb new information and concepts.
Remember, not all math apps are the same, and neither are all kids.
The best math app for one kid might not be the best choice for another.
That’s why we recommend testing out the free trials of different math games apps to see which one your kid gets the most from.
Have a question about our guide to the best math apps for kids? Comment below and we’ll help.