The best educational game apps for kids make the learning experience fun, engaging, and exciting for your little ones.
With technological advancements, the world of education has shifted towards online platforms to help kids learn in new, exciting ways.
These educational games for kids not only allow children to study, but also prepare them for the real world, where they will be able to use the critical thinking and practical skills that they have learned via these games.
Not only are these apps fun and a good investment, but they are also a great alternative to traditional learning models. They also allow for increased parental participation as they involve themselves more in their kids’ educational journey.
We’ve reviewed and ranked the best educational game apps for kids based on a variety of key factors, including quality of instruction, ease of use, amount of content, cost, and more.
What are the Best Educational Game Apps for Kids?
Choosing the right educational game app can be an overwhelming experience for parents. We’ve put together a guide to the best education games apps for kids in 2022 for you to select from.
HOMER is a personalized learning app designed to help kids fall in love with learning. There are over 1,000 learning activities across all subjects, and the content is tailored to your child's age and interests.
This popular learning games app is meant to give an engaging and fun learning experience for keen learners. HOMER provides each kid with a personalized experience suitable to their age and interests.
This learning games software teaches children to think critically by increasing the difficulty level at each stage. It is meant to be precise and brief so that the children are not bored and they do not lose their interest or focus over it.
Reading, math, creativity, or critical thinking, this educational game app has covered it all. The library is stocked with a wide range of genres and provides the kids with a customized reading program that evolves with them as they improve their reading abilities.
- Accessible to a large variety of fun educational games, activities, and content libraries for kids ages 2 to 8.
- Provides fun learning exercises across several age groups and disciplines including math, reading, creativity, social emotional learning, and critical thinking skills.
- Shown to improve early reading test scores by 74%
- Includes several graphics such as illustrations and animations as well as music to keep the text exciting and increase child’s engagement
- Easier navigation for young children as tools like touch, hold, and dragging items can be used with a simple tap.
- A single membership allows for 4 customized profiles
- Provides additional materials to parents which include printables, videos, activities, and professional advice.
HOMER pricing includes 3 different plans as follows:
- Monthly Plan: $9.99 per month
- Annual Plan: $59.99 per year
- Annual Digital Plan + Hands-On Bundle: $99.99 per year
codeSpark is a fun, engaging coding app that teaches kids basic problem solving, critical thinking skills, creativity, and a host of other valuable skills. Kids will enjoy playing on the app, not even realizing how much they're learning along the way as they get prepared for the world of tomorrow.
This educational game app is ideal for any child who is just starting to develop an interest in coding.
There’s no hiding the fact that coding is the present and the future. The codeSpark Academy app focuses on building STEM and future-oriented skills in a fun and engaging way through educational games and activities.
From playing games to creating and designing their own games, this learning game app is a stepping stone for young kids ages 5 and up.
codeSpark Academy allows youngsters to develop and program their own games and interactive tales using a wordless interface and compelling gameplay.
The app provides individualized daily tasks depending on a child’s development, which not only maintains a child’s interest but also encourages the young learners to engage.
- Includes a variety of coding puzzles and mini-games to solve.
- Teaches STEM concepts to kids
- Features drag and drop for easy usage
- Provides several learning resources such as lessons, projects, and offline printables
- Teaches problem-solving skills
- Does not includes words
- Does not include any in-app advertisements or transactions
- Supports up to 3 separate profiles
- Allows parents to easily monitor their child’s progress
- Available for both iOS and Android users
codeSpark includes a free play trial for its users. It also includes paid subscription plans to get access to more features and new content.
codeSpark pricing is as follows:
- Monthly Plan: $9.99 per month
- Annual Plan: $79.99 per year
3. Endless Alphabet
Endless Alphabet is one of the best learning games apps for preschoolers.
It allows children aged 2 and above to enjoy endless fun while learning. This app includes intuitive kid’s friendly graphics like animal animations and sound and music to catch the attention of young children and build their interest in it. The youngsters will learn to recite their ABCs with the assistance of an interactive alphabet and an alphabet sing-along tune.
Though the notion of an alphabet app is geared for preschoolers, older children will enjoy the animations and will be able to enhance their vocabulary thanks to its enriched library offered.
There are no points or ways to fail in this game in order to provide a stress-free, no-pressure setting.
The youngster has the option of selecting the word to construct. Once the word is selected, the letters associated with that word start to squirm, run, and seek to escape which are then put to their rightful place by the child. After the child’s construction of the word, there is a short animation and voice discussion of its meaning.
- Built-in definitions of words and fun word games
- Offers a great variety in difficulty level
- Includes fun games, puzzles, activities, and music
- Safe to use with COPPA-verification
- Supports self-paced learning
- Easy interface that’s very user friendly
- Allows for 3 profiles to be set up under 1 registration
- Available in all devices as well as in form of website and app
Endless Alphabet offers a free trial as part of its subscription plan. Its subscription plan costs for $8.99 a month.
Math is one of the most difficult yet important subjects as it encourages logical reasoning and problem-solving.
DragonBox is an intuitive, engaging, and fun game-based learning tool for youngsters which allows them to learn the basics of math at their own pace. It makes use of appealing graphics like animated dragons and icons to help them through problem-solving, logic type, and brain puzzles while keeping them engaged throughout the course.
On each level of this interactive app, learners are given a few easy instructions to help them comprehend the game. They are free to go further into the fundamental and sophisticated themes and study as much as they desire.
From young children learning basic algebra and linear equations to teenagers learning geometry and Euclidean proofs, this app is one of the best educational game apps for kids.
- Offers 6 math games that cover different mathematical concepts
- Includes Chess as well to sharpen the mind of children
- Available in multiple languages including English, Spanish, French and Korean.
- Divided into two aged groups: 5 to 9 and 9 to 12
- Customized learning depending on age and levels
- Offers easy navigation to its users with easy to follow steps
DragonBox offers various subscription paid plans for its users. Each plan is designed specifically to fulfill all the mathematical learning needs of its users.
- Basic Plan: Free version for all
- Home Plan: $5 per month or $60 per year
- Maths Starter Plan: $9.99 per month
- Family Plan: $7.5 per month or $90 per year (33.33% discount on this subscription plan is offered)
- Premier Plan: $15 per month or $180 per year
Prodigy is another math learning game app that makes use of engaging games to make learning fun and engaging. This online game is designed for elementary and middle school students, aged 6 to 14. This math fantasy world allows them to compete in mathematical battles with their friends and others keeping it entertaining as well as educational.
Children can customize their own math wizards and in order to win battles, accomplish quests, and obtain prizes, they must answer curriculum-aligned questions inclusive of arithmetic and algebra. This educational game app also allows for multiplayer games through which children can solve quests with their friends making it more exciting and pleasing.
Furthermore, the children are only questioned as per their understanding level. As they go through the game and improvise on their mathematic skills, the difficulty level increases.
- Includes video lessons and printables for offline learning
- Allows for in-game questions that are tailored to the child’s specific needs
- Assistance is provided through tools like a pen
- Progress report provided to parents to track their child’s progress
- Allows for teachers to sign in and submit questions to students as per their learning plan
- Rapid feedback was provided to solve their queries then and there
- Additional support can be provided through remote one on one tutoring
Prodigy is a free game with completely free learning material. It does, however, provide an optional premium membership that grants access to more characters, objects, treasure chests, and pets in the game.
- Premium monthly plan: $8.95 per month
- Premium Annual plan: $59.88 per year
ABCmouse.com is ideal for younger kids aged between 2 to 8 preferably in their pre-school and elementary school.
This learning game app provides kids with a comprehensive learning experience through hundreds of interactive games, puzzles, music, exercises, and reading videos.
Courses related to curricula like math, science, and art are included.
Different level games are included and are divided into 10 stages. Over 850 lessons are included in their subscription plans to provide extensive learning through fun and interacting games.
To boost the confidence of young children and to encourage them to perform more, the game gives them a bonus after the accomplishment of each level. This bonus allows their creativity to pop up as it allows them to purchase items to decorate their virtual classrooms.
Children may also develop their own avatar to represent themselves, which keeps things interesting and exciting. Parents may easily adjust the learning level to ensure that their child is not repeating the same skills.
- Supports both computer and mobile devices (Android or iOS)
- Curriculum designed by experienced educators
- Allows the parents to track their child’s progress
- Offers a variety of subjects such as math and science
- Helps kids develop reasoning skills
- Can be a substitute for the elementary school itself
- With COPPA verification, it’s safe to use.
- 3 children/family members can be registered under one account
- Website version is also available for this app
- Monthly Plan: $12.99 per month
- Short-Term Plan: $29.99 every 6 months
- Annual Plan: $59.99 per year
Duolingo is one of the unique apps on our list which teaches different languages through games as games are the most effective method of keeping children focused on the task.
Duolingo is a language learning game app that lets you learn new languages through interactive tales, podcasts, and other methods. It’s a massive library with over 34 languages with English as its base language.
This educational game app enables your children to study languages at a more advanced level. Furthermore, it allows youngsters to learn the same chapter several times until they grasp the concept of it. To begin, children will be required to take a placement exam to determine their present level of comprehension. Following that, the app will create courses according to the user’s abilities.
Teachers may use Duolingo’s Schools edition to keep track of their student’s progress and connect courses with what’s going on in the classroom.
- Short lessons that can be completed with 3 to 4 minutes
- 20 minutes podcasts provided from a native speaker
- Great for little kids and older kids alike
- Enriches vocabulary
- Enhances communication skills as well as reading and writing skills
- Allows to keep tabs on daily progress
- Provides its users with a simple easy to use interface
Duolingo is free to use for everyone, however, it does have a subscription plan if you want access to more advanced functionalities. Its subscription plan is as follows:
- Duolingo Plus Plan: $12.99 per month
8. Moose Math
Moose Math takes children on a mathematical journey while teaching them counting, addition, subtraction, sorting, geometry, and other concepts. Kids may earn prizes to help create their own city and decorate buildings while playing five multi-level activities in the Moose Juice Store, Puck’s Pet Shop, and Lost & Found.
Moose Juice store allows them to make smoothies and pet bingo helps them get bingo while helping them practice their counting, addition, and subtraction.
Paint pet and dot to dot requests them to count and join the dots to match the pets and help them find their way home. Lost and found helps them recognize as well as categorize shapes and colors. These 5 multi-level activities are all designed to reward the young children, all the while learning core mathematical concepts.
The mathematics curriculum enables them to understand numbers, learn to count, practice addition and subtraction, study geometry, and acquire measurement by understanding and comparing different lengths.
- Ideal for age 3 to 8
- Top selling and award-winning app
- Does not require any pricing plan
- Use interactive stories and games to keep the children entertained and involved
- Allows parents and teachers to monitor progress
- Easy navigation option
- Provides its users with easy to use interface
Moose Math offers free services to its user and does not support any subscription plan or in-app purchases.
Adventure Academy is a comprehensive app for children aged between 8 and 13. This covers a wide range of courses, from math and science to English and social studies, all of which are taught through engaging and thought-provoking educational games.
This educational game for kids offers them a diverse range of activities, allowing them to utilize their screen time for productive use and let their imaginations run wild while learning vital subjects. It’s a great way to learn throughout the summer since it allows kids to learn, play, and revise.
It’s an online multiplayer learning game app where a virtual school is set up. It allows children to set up their own characters, name them and dress them up using fun outfits and accessories. They can chat with their friends or that option can be disabled via settings. It lets them decorate and customize their own classrooms and home and perform learning activities while exploring this massive virtual world.
- Offers more than 40,000 educational activities including videos, puzzles books, and quizzes
- The use of graphics (3D) and visual effects keep the game captivating
- Provides an extensive curriculum designed by over 40 educational experts
- Children cannot skip through the learning activities
- Difficulty levels are set up according to the child’s individual needs.
- 3 profiles can be set up under 1 subscription
- Allows parents to track child’s progress
- Can be used from devices including mobiles, desktops, and Ipads.
Adventure Academy offers a 30 day free trial to every user after which a monthly or annual subscription can be opted for. Furthermore, it allows its users to cancel their subscriptions any time they want. Their pricing plan are as followed:
- Monthly plan: $12.99 per month
- Annual plan: $59.99 per year (Save 60% off through this special annual offer!)
10. Thinkrolls 2
This educational game for kids is not only easy on pockets, but it also challenges those young minds to think out of the box and encourages critical thinking through brain-stimulating games. This educational games app will test their science knowledge and clarify their concepts. This app is designed for children aged 3 to 9 and makes use of cute little monsters as their animated characters to keep them invested in the game.
This learning game app has two-level difficulty, where there are 117 mazes on the basic level, and 118 significantly more complicated mazes on the hard level. Mazes are connected through different interesting and unique components which keep getting interesting. Players need to avoid water using wooden barrels or a fan in order to save themselves from an electric shock, or perhaps even teleport their characters.
It encourages the young kids to practice patience, repeat till they achieve, and practice critical thinking to pass through the mazes. They learn the concept of contraction and expansion by applying them in their game using ledges, steps, and bridges.
- Introduces several scientific concepts including gravity, buoyancy, electricity, density, acceleration, mass, and aerodynamics
- Several characters to choose from
- Challenges memorizing skills and encourages critical thinking
- Makes use of funny and funky graphics and audio to keep the game fun
- Supports Android, iOS, and Amazon devices
- 6 profiles are allowed to be set up under 1 subscription
This learning game app allows for a one-time purchase only of $3.99. Furthermore, it does not support any in-app purchases.
SplashLearn provides engaging and dynamic practice in the form of games and flashcard-style drills that may quickly supplement a student’s math and reading lessons.
Every student’s math and reading experience on SplashLearn is unique, and it adjusts to their difficulty level as they go.
It works equally well in both in-class and remote learning settings, providing students with a continuous learning experience no matter where they are.
This educational game app may give a far more pleasant, yet still, organized and successful method to practice and revise that youngsters may really like using, owing to its entertaining games, vivid animated atmosphere, and bonuses and rewards.
For better learning, SplashLearn allows teachers to create their profiles for free to observe their student’s progress and provide them with feedback.
- Includes audio instructions and visual examples for easier understanding of young child
- Offers nearly 2000 activities for each course
- Does not need an internet connection to function
- Progress can be monitored by parents or teachers
- Easier interface to use can be used by kids themselves independently
- The family plan supports up to 3 profiles
A 7-day free trial is available after which a monthly or yearly subscription can be used by its users. Parents can choose from either math or reading plan or can have access to both through its bundle plan. SplashLearn subscription plans are as follows:
- Math Plan: $7.99 per month or $59.99 per year
- Reading Plan: $7.99 per month or $59.99 per year
- Reading And Math Bundle: $11.99 per month or $89.99 per year
Other Useful Resources
- The Best Math Apps for Kids
- The Best Reading Apps for Kids
- The Best Coding Apps for Kids
- The Best Education Apps
A Final Word on Education Game Apps
There’s a lot of evidence showing that kids learn better through play and fun, which is why educational games are so important.
The best educational game apps for kids make learning fun for kids, helping them master everything from reading to math to science all while playing and having fun. Simply put, the use of apps in education has changed the way we learn forever.
Remember, many of these apps offer free trials, so take advantage of them and download apps on the list above to test out what educational games work best with your kids.
Have any questions or insights about learning game apps? Comment below with your thoughts and questions.