Looking for a clear, straightforward guide with actionable advice on how to become an eLearning developer?
With the growth of technology, eLearning has become a popular choice for those looking to enter the field of education. And while there are many career opportunities in the field of online education, from a learning and development specialist to an instructional designer, eLearning developers are in high demand and have very bright career prospects as we head into the future.
If you’re interested in becoming an eLearning developer, here is a complete guide to getting you started.
What is an eLearning Developer?
An eLearning developer is responsible for the design, development, and delivery of educational content delivered electronically. This can include online courses, tutorials, learning modules, and more. eLearning developers use various tools to create engaging and interactive content that learners can access at any time.
They also work closely with instructional designers, curriculum developers, and other educational professionals to ensure that the content they create meets the needs of the learners.
Typically, eLearning developers receive an outline for an online course along with content from an instructional designer. The eLearning developer then uses a variety of authoring tools to code and build out the course.
While the position of eLearning developer is relatively new, it is expected to grow in the coming years. This is due to the growing demand for online education and the need for developers who can create engaging and interactive content.
What Skills Do You Need to Become an eLearning Developer?
If you want to become an eLearning developer, you will need a few skills to succeed:
- Familiar with authoring tools–These tools are used to create the eLearning content you deliver. Many different authoring tools are available, but some of the most popular include Articulate Storyline, Adobe Captivate, and Lectora. It is also important to have a basic understanding of using these tools. This will allow you to create content that is engaging and interactive. When you start, it is important to find a tool that is easy to use and has a wide range of features. As you become more familiar with the authoring tools, you can experiment with different features and functionality. This will allow you to create content that is truly unique and engaging for the learners.
- Understands instructional design principles–Instructional design principles will help you create content aligned with the learner’s goals and objectives. Additionally, they will help you determine the best way to deliver the content electronically. Plus, if you want to create truly interactive and effective content, you should also consider adding multimedia elements such as audio, video, and simulations. You will need to be familiar with many different tools and technologies to become an eLearning developer.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills–As an eLearning developer, you will need to be able to analyze problems and find solutions. This will require you to have strong analytical and problem-solving skills. Additionally, you must be able to think creatively to find new ways to deliver content electronically. Additionally, you must be able to work independently and as part of a team. This will require you to have strong communication and interpersonal skills. Or, in other words, the ability to get along with others and work together. When you’re first starting, it can be helpful to find a mentor or coach who can help you develop these skills.
- Patience and perseverance–This job can be challenging at times, and you will need to be able to persevere through the tough times. Additionally, you must be willing to experiment and try new things. This job is constantly changing, and you will need to be able to adapt to the changes.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills–This is important because you will be working with various people, including instructional designers, curriculum developers, and other educational professionals. You must be able to communicate effectively to ensure that the content you create meets the needs of the learners.
If you have the qualities and skills listed above, you have what it takes to become an eLearning developer. However, it is important to remember that this job is not for everyone. You must be willing to put in the time and effort to succeed. Additionally, you must be open to learning new things and expanding your knowledge.
Step-by-Step Guide to Becoming an eLearning Developer
As the demand for online education grows, so does the need for eLearning developers. If you’re interested in becoming an eLearning developer, here is a step-by-step guide to help you get started.
1. Get education in a relevant field
The first step to becoming an eLearning developer is to pursue a degree or certification in a relevant field. You can study many different fields, but some of the most popular include instructional design, educational technology, and communication.
When choosing a degree program, be sure to look for one that offers courses in programming, authoring tools, and instructional design.
You could also get professional certifications by taking online courses from learning platforms like Coursera, Skillshare, or LinkedIn Learning.
2. Get a job in the field
After you have a degree and specialization, you can start looking for eLearning developer jobs. There are many different places you can look for jobs, but some of the most popular include online job boards, educational institutions, and companies specializing in eLearning development.
3. Develop your skills on the job
Once you have a job, you can start developing your skills and gaining experience. The key is to always stay on the cutting edge of the industry as things will constantly be changing with new authoring tools, new technologies, new best practices, and more.
The best eLearning developers are always seeking out professional development opportunities to stay up-to-date on best practices in the field.
This can be done by taking courses, attending conferences, and reading books and articles about eLearning development.
As you develop your skills, you will be able to create more effective and engaging content for learners.
4. Advance your career
After becoming a certified eLearning developer, you can start advancing your career. This can be done by taking on more responsibility at your job, pursuing leadership positions, and becoming involved in professional organizations.
As you advance your career, you will be able to help more learners achieve their goals and objectives. Additionally, you will be able to earn more money and have more job security.
This is a general overview of how to become an eLearning developer. However, keep in mind that the specific steps may vary depending on your situation. For example, if you already have a degree in a relevant field, you may not need to get another one.
If you’re interested in becoming an eLearning developer, follow these steps. With hard work and dedication, you can achieve your goal.
A Final Word on Becoming an eLearning Developer
Becoming an eLearning developer can be a rewarding career choice. With the proper education and training, you can develop your skills to succeed in this field. Additionally, you can use your skills to help others learn and achieve their goals.
If you’re ready to make a difference in the lives of learners, consider becoming an eLearning developer.
By following the steps and tips in the guide above, you can get on the path to becoming an eLearning developer.
Have any more questions about how to become an eLearning developer? Leave us a comment below.