In Gordon Ramsay’s first cooking course on Masterclass, he says that “you can’t pick up the world’s best cookbook and understand it — you need to do it.”
He’s right – cooking is a skill that requires guidance and practice.
And while your first thoughts of Gordon Ramsay might be of him shouting on TV, his Masterclass reveals a side of him you might not have seen before—it’s a combination of instruction and inspiration.
Through video lessons, Gordon provides step-by-step guidance to help you master the basics of cooking and sharpen your existing skills.
With his incredible knowledge, Ramsay takes us through the basics of ingredients and techniques needed to improve your skills in the kitchen. He covers everything from the basics to advanced techniques like working with complex flavors or mastering knife skills.
With the help of the Ramsay MasterClass, you could be ready to become one of the best cooks at home.
At least, that’s how the Gordon Ramsay Masterclass is promoted, but does it really hold up to the hype?
We’ve taken Gordon Ramsay Teaches Cooking Part 1 on Masterclass (a part 2 was later released that we haven’t had a chance to take just yet), and in this review, we’ll discuss our experience with the course and provide an honest assessment of the content, production value, and overall value for money.
We’ll also provide some advice on who should look into taking this course based on their current cooking skills.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this article are affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost for you, we might get a commission if you click the link and purchase.
Overview Of Gordon Ramsay Masterclass
Gordon Ramsay, who has been featured as a judge on many food competition series and is a critically acclaimed chef, is perhaps one of the best and most well-known chefs in the whole world.
MasterClass, one of the most popular online learning platforms out there, partnered with Chef Ramsay to create a series of comprehensive and engaging cooking courses.
There are two MasterClass courses available:
- Gordon Ramsay’s Cooking Class 1
- Gordon Ramsay Cooking Class 2: Restaurant Recipes at Home
In these classes, you will learn how to prepare delicious meals by Gordon Ramsay such as a rack of lamb with a herb crust and beef Wellington.
The course content includes techniques to improve your cooking strategies and learn how to create various tastes for your favorite dishes using inexpensive products.
You will learn the well-defined art of creating a palette and simple techniques for using knives that are of professional quality.
All in all, these courses promise to help you take your cooking skills to a whole new level.
You will get to learn from one of the best chefs in the world and sharpen your culinary skills by following his advice.
As Ramsay says in the introduction to his first course, “Everything I’ve learned, understood, grabbed, stolen, perfected is laid bare across this MasterClass.”
The courses are meant to be suitable for both novice cooks who are just starting out as well as experienced cooks who want to take their cooking game up a notch.
For the most part, these courses do a good job of delivering on that goal, but as we’ll discuss in a bit, there are some moments where the lessons feel like they might verge on being a bit too much for someone who has zero kitchen experience.
- Gordon Ramsay Teaches Cooking 1 has 20 videos totaling 3 hrs and 52 mins
- Gordon Ramsay Teaches Cooking 2 has 15 videos totaling 4 hrs and 13 mins
- Ramsay’s Masterclass courses have a total time of 8 hours and 5 minutes
Gordon Ramsay Masterclass Lesson Plans
Before we dive into our experience with the course, let’s take a quick look at the outline of what each Ramsay MasterClass is all about.
Some of the things you’ll learn in the first Gordon Ramsay MasterClass include:
- Mastering The Kitchen–In this class segment, you will discover the best techniques to set up your kitchen at home, including the equipment you need, what ingredients to stock, and how to properly prepare them.
- Mastering Vegetables And Herbs–The primary objective of this section is to educate the student about veggies and herbs. You will discover how to determine if vegetables are still fresh, and some new applications for the roots and stems of vegetables that we typically disregard and toss out. Other great techniques include how to improve mixed veggie flavor using various components, methods for enhancing tastes and the usage of herbs, and how to keep them fresh for a more extended period. In addition, you’ll discover the ideal way to “chiffonade,” or roll and slice mint.
- Elevating Eggs–Ramsay shows how to properly cook delicious scrambled eggs with amazing easy tricks that can be used in the kitchen. He also shows some advanced, creative ways to take your scrambled eggs to new heights by adding adding sea urchin and white truffle.
- Developing Knife Skills–In this segment, Ramsay will teach you how to choose the right knife, sharpen it, and use it properly. Being an expert knife user can make all the difference in the kitchen, and Ramsay covers all the basics for you. Ramsay takes his time to demonstrate proper technique rather than rushing over to teach it, showing users how to hold the knife with the proper posture. He walks you through every step while giving demonstrations, making it simple for you to practice at home.
- How To Deal With Chicken, Beef, Lamb, And Pork–One of the finest parts of Ramsay’s course is that he shows how to use common ingredients at home without spending too much money or time. He teaches how to cut a whole chicken into parts and use it to create various meals; how to mold beef pieces for appetizers or full-course meals; what to do with hog cheeks, bone marrow, and lamb shank; and how to choose a steak and tailor your cooking method according to the specific qualities of the meat.
- Mastering Seafood: Fish And Shellfish–Ramsay demonstrates this lesson by describing the kind of fish you should use to get the most flavor out of it, how to preserve its freshness and taste, and various presentation methods you may use. If you’ve watched MasterChef Australia, you’d remember that a meal presentation is one of the most important skills for every cooking aficionado. Ramsay also explains all the nutritional facts about all the common types of fish. All your queries regarding which fish should be used for appetizers or full-course meals will also be cleared. Additionally, the lesson will also discuss how to stock fish.
- Making The Perfect Pasta–This part includes the most useful tips for making pasta. Whether it is Alfredo or fajita, Ramsay will discuss all the nitty gritty details about all the famous types of pasta recipes you should try. From boiling and preparing the sauce to adding meat, you will be able to witness all the steps. As a cherry on top, the lesson also includes a video on how pasta dough is prepared and its various shapes.
The second Gordon Ramsay MasterClass is all about the recipes, but he also discusses the key components and the entire cooking process from scratch, including presentation.
This course is meant to showcase new techniques for home cooks and restaurant chefs alike. Ramsay covers all the tips and tricks for creating high-end meals from scratch in a short amount of time, as well as how to make restaurant-level dishes that can be served at home.
In Gordon Ramsay’s cooking collection, there are a few unique dishes, which include:
- Hoisin Chicken
- Poached Egg with Asparagus, and Mushrooms
- Fried Branzino with Thai Chili Lettuce Cups
- Crispy Duck along with Spinach & Red Endive
- Pomme Purée
- Pickled Daikon
- Sesame Crusted Tuna with Cucumber Salad
- Szechuan Roasted Whole Chicken
- Rack of Lamb with Thumbelina Carrots
- Roasted Eggplant with Basil and Feta
- Raspberry Soufflé
Pros and Cons of Gordon Ramsay MasterClass Courses
Now that you have an idea of what’s included in the Gordon Ramsay MasterClass courses, the question is whether or not they’re worth your money.
As mentioned earlier, so far we’ve only fully completed the first course, so most of our thoughts will focus on that.
All in all, we found the course to be very informative and interesting, with a lot of useful information that could help any aspiring home cook or professional chef.
Ramsay is a naturally great instructor, with an easy-to-follow teaching style and a friendly personality.
Like most other MasterClass courses, the production quality is second to none, which adds to the overall experience. The videos are Hollywood-level, with excellent cinematography and plenty of close-up shots.
The only downsides are the fact that some recipes may be difficult to replicate at home due to the lack of specialized equipment or ingredients (remember how we mentioned using sea urchin tongues to elevate scrambled eggs?)
Overall though, if you’re looking for a comprehensive introduction into cooking, Gordon Ramsay’s MasterClass is an excellent choice.
You’ll learn everything from the basics of cooking to more complex techniques, and you’ll be able to apply what you’ve learned in your own kitchen.
Plus, it’s a great way to get inspired to try something new!
- Offers hands-on, useful tips from a world-renowned chef
- Covers various types of cooking techniques and presentation methods
- Beautifully produced videos with Hollywood production quality
- Lessons take the time to really teach, instead of just going through the motions, but they’re also never too long or involved
- Accompanying workbook is very useful
- Some recipes call for ingredients most people don’t have on hand
- You may need to repeat certain lessons to really master the material
How Much Does the Gordon Ramsay MasterClass Cost?
So, how much does it cost to take the Gordon Ramsay MasterClass?
Rather than buying it individually, you’ll have to sign up for a MasterClass membership, which will give you access to these courses and 180+ others available on the platform.
MasterClass pricing is as follows:
- Individual–$120 per year (average $10 per month)
- Duo–$180 per year (average $15 per month)
- Family–$240 per year (average $20 per month)
How To Enroll
Signing up for Masterclass is pretty simple:
- Visit the Masterclass website.
- Look on the left side of the screen where it asks you to put in your email. Fill in a valid email address, and click “Get Started”.
- Complete the short questionnaire or skip it if you don’t want to.
- Choose the plan you want to sign up for.
- Enter your billing info to place your order.
You’ll then be able to take the Gordon Ramsay MasterClass courses or whatever else you want.
Gordon Ramsay MasterClass FAQ
How much is Gordon Ramsay’s MasterClass?
Gordon Ramsay’s MasterClass is part of the MasterClass membership, which costs $120 per year (average $10 per month).
Does Gordon Ramsay actually teach the lessons?
Yes, he does! All of the lessons are taught by Gordon himself.
What skills will I gain from taking the Gordon Ramsay MasterClass?
You will learn a wide range of cooking techniques, presentation methods, and tips from the world-renowned chef himself.
How long is the Gordon Ramsay MasterClass?
Gordon Ramsay has two different MasterClass courses, each of which is around 4 hours in length and includes around 20 individual video lessons.
Is Gordon Ramsay’s MasterClass worth it?
Yes, we think so! The course provides an excellent introduction to cooking, with plenty of useful tips that can be applied in your own kitchen. Plus, you get to learn from one of the best chefs in the world. It’s one of the best online cooking classes out there.
Does MasterClass have a money-back guarantee?
Yes, they do. All MasterClass memberships come with a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you’re not happy with the course, you can get a full refund within 30 days of purchase. Our MasterClass review has more info.
Can I watch the lessons on my mobile device?
Yes, all MasterClass courses are available to watch on both your desktop and mobile devices. You can also download them for offline viewing depending on the plan you sign up for.
A Final Word on the Gordon Ramsay MasterClass
The Gordon Ramsay MasterClass is an excellent choice for anyone who wants to learn the basics of cooking, or for those who want to hone their skills with tips from a professional chef.
The course is comprehensive and well-structured, and it covers topics that range from simple recipes to complex culinary techniques. All in all, it’s one of the best MasterClass courses out there.
Plus, you get access to all the other courses available on the MasterClass platform, so you can continue learning even after you finish the Gordon Ramsay course.
Whether you are a beginner or a professional, you will surely enjoy all the lessons related to cooking, food presentation, using the right culinary equipment, and organizing your kitchen.
To get the most out of Chef Ramsay’s MasterClass courses, we recommend trying out all the concepts you’ve learned immediately after watching each lesson (or even during). This will help you conquer your strengths and weaknesses and stay motivated.
Have any questions about the Gordon Ramsay MasterClass courses? Comment below and let us know.