Looking for tips on how to learn creative writing quickly and without the hassle of going to an expensive four-year university?
Creative writing can be a valuable skill for students to learn, regardless of their age or chosen field of study. After all, the ability to communicate clearly and concisely is an essential part of any profession.
However, many people believe they just aren’t creative or can’t learn to write well.
The good news is creative writing is a skill that can be learned and practiced like any other.
Anyone can develop their unique voice by taking the time to understand the basics of creative writing and using some simple techniques.
Whether you want to write fiction or non-fiction, poetry or prose, learning how to express yourself creatively will open up a world of possibilities.
If you’re interested in learning creative writing online, there are several different platforms, programs, and resources you can choose from to help you quickly build the knowledge and skills you need to thrive.
Read on for our full guide on how to learn creative writing online.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this article are affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost for you, we might get a commission if you click the link and purchase.
Why Learn Creative Writing?
Creative writing can be an incredibly rewarding pursuit. Not only can it help you to better express your thoughts and feelings, but it can also provide you with a unique perspective on the world around you.
In addition, creative writing can be a great way to connect with others who share your passion for the written word.
However, creative writing is not just about self-expression or sharing your ideas with others. It is also an excellent way to improve your writing skills.
By learning how to craft compelling stories and develop characters, you can hone your ability to communicate effectively in written form. As such, creative writing can be an invaluable asset for anyone who wishes to pursue a career in writing or communication.
Can You Learn Creative Writing On Your Own?
In the past, your best option was to enroll in local creative writing courses at your local college if you wanted to become a better writer. But that was costly and time-consuming.
Fortunately, nowadays there are a variety of online resources available to you that can help you become a better writer from the comfort of your home.
There are tons of excellent tutorials, video lessons, complete online courses, guides, online communities, and other resources out there that you can use to teach yourself creative writing techniques.
By taking advantage of great resources and putting in the time to practice consistently, you can become a better writer on your own without having to pay for expensive creative writing courses or programs.
Online Courses Offer the Best Way to Learn Creative Writing Skills
There are a lot of different ways that people can learn creative writing skills.
Many people choose to take traditional classes to learn the basics of writing.
However, there are also a lot of people who opt to take online creative writing courses instead.
There are several reasons why online courses offer the best way to learn creative writing skills.
- You can learn from anywhere: One of the best things about taking an online course is that you can learn from anywhere. As long as you have an internet connection, you can access your course materials and participate in class discussions. This is a great option for people who have busy schedules or who live in remote areas.
- You can learn at your own pace: Another great thing about taking an online course is learning at your own pace. If you need to take a break or if you want to review a concept, you can do so without disrupting the flow of the class. This is a great option for people who have difficulty focusing or who learn best when they have more control over their learning pace.
- You have access to expert instructors: When you take an online course, you have access to expert instructors who can help you improve your writing skills. These instructors can give you feedback on your work and help you develop as a writer. This is a great option for people who want to get the most out of their learning experience.
- You can access various courses: When you learn online, you can access various courses in a range of topics. This means you can find a course tailored to your specific needs and interests. Want to learn fiction writing? There are lots of great courses online. Want to learn how to write short stories? There are online writing courses focused specifically on that as well. Online learning is a great option for people who want to learn about a specific aspect of creative writing or focus on a particular genre.
Where to Learn Creative Writing Online
If you are looking for some of the best platforms that offer creative writing courses online, look no further than these.
With MasterClass, you can learn from some of the world's most recognized experts and celebrities. Classes include business, cooking, photography, acting, design, and so much more.
Imagine being able to learn all about writing from the likes of David Sedaris, Judy Blume, RL Stine, Malcom Gladwell, Amanda Gorman, Margaret Atwood, Neil Gaiman, and other legends of the craft.
That’s what Masterclass offers.
Masterclass is an online learning app that offers an impressive library of video classes in a wide range of subjects taught by A-list celebrities like those mentioned above along with Samuel L Jackson, Gordon Ramsay, Mariah Carey, Serena Williams, James Cameron, George W Bush, and countless others.
Masterclass offers over 180 online courses all taught by recognized industry leaders and celebrities, and you can access them all with a subscription that starts at only $15 a month, billed annually.
As creative writing goes, Masterclass has a great selection of classes to choose from, including the following:
New York Times bestselling author David Sedaris shares his techniques for creating funny, engaging stories that audiences connect with and cherish.
Award-winning Youth Poet Laureate Amanda Gorman teaches how to unleash your creative side in this poetry writing course.
Salman Rushdie teaches you how to craft memorable, engaging stories that stand the test of time in this popular online class.
Learn how to create memorable characters and engaging stories from the legendary children's author Judy Blume in this epic online course.
Learn how to create page-turning thrillers from the master of the genre in this powerful online course.
Click here to get started with Masterclass today.
Skillshare is the ultimate website for learning just about anything imaginable. You can explore 30,000+ online classes across countless categories, from business to hobbies and more.
Skillshare is an online platform that offers a variety of classes on creative writing. Led by experienced writers and editors, the classes cover a wide range of topics to help you become a better writer.
Whether you’re a beginner who wants to learn the basics or a more experienced writer looking to brush up on your skills, Skillshare has a class for you.
In addition to providing professional-grade instruction, Skillshare also offers a supportive community of writers who can offer feedback and encouragement.
With its wide range of courses and affordable membership plans, Skillshare is an excellent resource for anyone interested in learning more about creative writing.
Our Skillshare review is worth checking out to learn more about the popular learning site.
Click here to try Skillshare free for one month.
Coursera Plus gives you unlimited access to over 7,000 courses from the world's top universities and organizations.
Coursera Plus is a subscription service that gives you access to a wide range of courses on creative writing. One of the best things about Coursera Plus is that it offers courses from actual universities, helping you access the best instruction from anywhere in the world.
Coursera Plus is a great option for people who want to learn about a variety of topics related to creative writing. The platform offers courses on everything from plot development to character creation, so you can find one that suits your needs.
Additionally, the courses are relatively short, so you can complete them at your own pace.
Our Coursera Plus review has all the details you need to know about this popular online learning platform.
Click here to try Coursera Plus free for 7 days.
LinkedIn Learning offers over 18,000 online courses in a wide range of subjects, and it's a great platform for professionals looking to gain valuable new skills.
If you’re looking for a more professional and business-oriented approach to learning creative writing online, then LinkedIn Learning is a great option.
With over 16,000 courses available on the platform, you’re sure to find something that suits your needs. And if you’re not sure where to start, there are plenty of beginner-level Creative Writing classes available to get you started on the basics.
So if you’re looking for a Creative Writing course that will help you to improve your skills for work, LinkedIn Learning is a great option.
Read our LinkedIn Learning pricing guide for more info on the different plans and features offered.
Click here to try LinkedIn Learning free for 30 days.
More Tips for Learning Creative Writing
While online courses offer a great way to move forward in your writing journey, there are some other steps you can take to become a better creative writer:
- Challenge yourself with writing prompts–The great thing about writing prompts is that you can use them to get the creative juices flowing, or even just to practice your craft. There’s no shortage of free writing prompts out there online to get you started, like the Writing Prompts community on Reddit.
- Find your unique perspective–A good story idea is nothing without a strong voice and perspective behind it. The key is to find the unique perspective that only you can bring and make it your own.
- Make time for writing–Writing is like a muscle that needs to be exercised, so make it a priority to set aside time for writing. Even if it’s just 15 minutes a day, those regular doses of writing will help you become a better writer over time.
- Read widely–The best writers are also voracious readers. Reading widely in your genre of choice will help you get a better understanding of the craft and give you great ideas for your own writing.
- Find inspiration everywhere–Inspiration is all around us, from conversations with friends to scenes from our daily life. Journaling or keeping a notebook handy can be useful for when inspiration strikes so that you never miss a chance to create something great.
- Learn about your characters–If you’re writing fiction, one of the best ways to raise the stakes and make your story more interesting is to really understand who your characters are. Take time to get to know their personalities, motivations, and backstories so that you can bring them to life on the page.
Final Thoughts on How to Learn Creative Writing
Creative writing is a form of self-expression that can help you tap into your innermost thoughts and feelings.
If you’re new to creative writing, it can be tough to know where to start. The good news is that there are plenty of ways to learn creative writing online, regardless of your skill level.
We’ve highlighted some of the best options for beginners in this post, so read on to find the perfect course for you.
It’s worth pointing out that online course sites offer free trials, giving you a chance to check out some great classes without paying a thing.
Have any more questions about how to learn creative writing? Just leave a comment below and we’ll try our best to help you out.