Looking for helpful guidance on how to learn photo editing as quickly as possible?
There’s always a demand in the job market for talented photo editors.
And even if you don’t want to learn photo editing for professional reasons, it’s still a great skill to have for making your own photos look their very best.
You might think editing photos requires a lot of time and effort, but with the right know-how, you can get up to speed in no time.
These days, there are tons of easily accessible resources that can teach you photo editing, no matter your skill level or experience.
From online courses to video tutorials to blog posts, there’s no shortage of helpful content out there.
To make things easier for you, we’ve rounded up some of the best options for learning photo editing online.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this article are affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost for you, we might get a commission if you click the link and purchase.
Why Learn Photo Editing?
There are lots of reasons to learn photo editing. Maybe you want to become a professional editor working for a big company or even running your own freelance business. Or maybe you just want to polish up your own photos so they look a little better.
Even if you are not a professional photographer, photo editing is still an excellent skill to learn, and here are some reasons that may make up your mind to start learning photo editing online.
Professional or Freelance Career
There’s a lot of money to be made if you’re a talented photo editor, and many freelancers are earning a solid living through this.
If you learn photo editing and master the tools, you can attract paying clients, giving you the chance to enjoy the freedom that comes with building your own business.
Presenting Yourself Better
People who are not seeking any professional career in photo editing can still learn this skill to present themselves better on social media. You will need at least basic editing skills to present yourself on Insta, FB, or Snapchat.
Fun and Creative Skill
Photo editing lets you be creative and have some fun. It is an exciting way to express yourself and enhance the quality of your photos, helping you achieve your artistic vision.
Can You Learn Photo Editing On Your Own?
Learning photo editing on your own is definitely very achievable and more accessible than ever before.
The internet offers a wealth of resources for those interested in delving into the world of photo editing without enrolling in college.
You can find free and cheap online courses, video tutorials, text guides, articles, and communities that help teach you everything from the basics to more complex concepts of this skill.
If you take it step-by-step and practice often, you can easily master the tools you need in no time.
You may encounter specific problems while working on a project but there are always plenty of online resources to turn to for help. Whether it’s an article or a tutorial or even a community forum, these resources allow you to get answers quickly and efficiently so that your project is completed successfully.
With enough dedication and practice, anyone can learn this fun and creative skill on their own.
Online Courses Offer The Best Way To Learn Photo Editing
While there are lots of different resources available to help you learn photo editing, we think the most effective medium is online courses.
Why do people now prefer online courses to learn photo editing?
- Learn At Your Own Pace–With online courses, you will can learn at your own pace, fitting it into your schedule as you have time and matching your skill level. That means you can spend as much time as you want mastering photo editing skills. There will be nothing that can force you to speed up the learning process. You can learn during the day or late at night as per your flexibility. This is what makes online courses so popular for learning new skills.
- Learn from Experts–The most prominent and experienced professionals from all around the world teach online courses. You’ll be able to learn photo editing online from experts that you might not be able to find locally.
- 24/7 Availability of Resources–Another great reason to take online courses is that you can always access tutorials, videos, and sessions at any hour of the day and night from wherever you want. There are no restrictions on location and timing whatsoever.
- Multiple Courses to Choose From–Online learning sites offer various courses from experts worldwide to help you learn the skills you intend to attain. Whether you’re a beginner looking to gain the most basic photo editing skills or a seasoned pro trying to up your game a bit more, there are plenty of online photo editing classes that are the perfect fit for your needs.
Where to Learn Photo Editing Online
If you are looking for some of the best platforms that to take photo editing courses, here are a few we highly recommend.
Coursera Plus gives you unlimited access to over 7,000 courses from the world's top universities and organizations.
With Coursera Plus, you’ll get unlimited access to over 7,000 courses provided by top universities and organizations in the world.
The platform offers a number of courses in photography and image editing, helping you sharpen your skills whether you’re a beginner or longtime pro.
Whether you’re looking to master a specific photo editing software or are more interested in learning about image editing theory, you’ll find it the course you’re looking for on Coursera.
What could be better than learning from top courses designed by universities that are well-structured and comprehensive? Even if you are a person with little time to learn, this will be the best pick for you.
You can earn a shareable Certificate for each course or Specialization you complete, helping you boost your resume for potential employers.
And if you want access to even more courses, the regular Coursera platform has even more courses that you can audit for free.
Our Coursera Plus review provides a full overview of this online learning platform.
Click here to try Coursera Plus free for 7 days.
Skillshare is the ultimate website for learning just about anything imaginable. You can explore 30,000+ online classes across countless categories, from business to hobbies and more.
Skillshare is among the top learning platforms and a reliable website for online courses. With more than 30,000 online classes and over 8,000 expert instructors, it offers a comprehensive learning experience, covering various areas and subjects, including photo image editing.
One of the exceptional things about this platform is that skilled instructors and top mentors teach all courses. So, learning from the best is always a plus point.
With an affordable annual subscription, Skillshare lets you learn just about anything you could ever want.
Our Skillshare review goes in depth on everything the platform offers.
Click here to get your free trial of Skillshare.
LinkedIn Learning offers over 18,000 online courses in a wide range of subjects, and it's a great platform for professionals looking to gain valuable new skills.
LinkedIn is a renowned platform for professionals and working people, and since the launch of LinkedIn Learning, it has attracted a lot of learners looking to build valuable skills for the workplace.
By learning photo editing from expert instructors, you will significantly improve your professional prospects. So, it is certainly a great choice if you are looking to learn photo editing and enhance your skills.
Moreover, you can connect with the people of your community and grow professionally while keeping yourself updated with the most recent trends and tools in the industry.
Check out our LinkedIn Learning pricing article for a full overview of their different plans and features.
Click here to try LinkedIn Learning free for one month.
More Tips for Learning Photo Editing
While online courses are a great place to get started building your editing skills, there are some other steps you can take to truly master the craft:
- Focus on the basics– Before you dive into more advanced techniques, make sure you have a strong foundation by mastering the basics of photo editing. This includes understanding color theory and the principles of composition, knowing how to crop and straighten images properly, and simply becoming comfortable with various image editing software tools.
- Learn your software’s shortcuts–Editing photos can be a time-consuming process, but you can speed things up with keyboard shortcuts offered in many photo editing tools. Become familiar with the shortcuts for your preferred editing software, and you’ll be able to work much faster.
- Practice–It’s said that practice makes perfect, and this is certainly true when it comes to photo editing. Take photos regularly, experiment with different editing techniques, and keep trying new things until you find what works best for you.
- Get creative–Challenge yourself by creating something outside of your normal wheelhouse. Don’t be afraid to get artistic and bold with your edits. Even if this isn’t the kind of style you prefer, experimenting with creative photo edits can help you build new skills you can incorporate into your regular workflow.
- Get feedback in online communities–Joining photo editing communities gives you the opportunity to connect with other experienced editors, ask questions, and get constructive feedback on your work. This can be a great way to stay current with trends in the industry and learn from more experienced editors. There’s no shortage of forums and communities out there on Reddit, Facebook, and other sites.
A Final Word on How to Learn Photo Editing Online
Online learning is a fantastic option for learning new skills, including photo image editing and just about anything else you desire.
The convenience and flexibility of online courses makes it so easy to learn photo editing at your own pace and from wherever you want.
There are many really excellent options for learning photo editing online.
The online learning sites in our guide are all fantastic in their own way, and most offer a free trial, so take advantage of that to check out different courses to find the ones you like best.
Have any questions about our guide on how to learn photo editing? Let us know by commenting below.