With the best online videography courses, you can gain the skills and knowledge you need to become a successful videographer.
In today’s world, videography is an increasingly popular and in-demand skill.
More and more people are turning to video to capture special moments, document events, and promote their businesses. As a result, there is a growing demand for videographers who have the skills and knowledge to produce high-quality videos.
While you can certainly learn videography on your own, taking classes from a qualified instructor can help you to develop the skills you need to be successful.
An online class can provide you with the flexibility you need to fit learning into your busy schedule.
In addition, online classes offer the opportunity to learn from some of the best videographers in the business. You’ll be able to learn new techniques to create amazing videos, get feedback on your work, and network with other students.
So why not take advantage of the convenience and flexibility of an online videography class? With so much to offer, it’s an education that you’ll be sure to enjoy and that will pay off for years to come.
Whether you want to become a freelance videographer or work in the film industry, these courses will give you the foundation you need to get started.
We’ve reviewed and ranked the best online videography courses based on key factors that include content, instructor experience, price, and student feedback.
This guide has been fully updated for 2023 to include the best current course options so you can make an informed decision about the best way to invest in your video skills.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this article are affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost for you, we might get a commission if you click the link and purchase.
How We Chose the Best Online Courses to Build Your Videography Skills
With hundreds of online courses promising to teach the skills needed to make awesome videos, we wanted to figure out which ones were truly the best of the best.
We reviewed dozens of online videography classes, and ranked each of them on the following criteria:
- Quality of curriculum– We looked carefully at the course syllabus for each class to gauge what’s being taught (e.g. shooting techniques, editing techniques, etc.) and what the level of the course is (e.g. beginners, intermediate learners, professional-level videographers). We also took some lessons from each class to get a feel for the overall quality of the instruction.
- Instructor credentials– We considered the experience level of instructors, and whether they have a real track record in the field of videography.
- Accessibility– We looked at how easily accessible each course is for students around the world. Can you access the course on any device? Can you take the course at your own pace or do you have to take it on a specific schedule? These are just a few of the things we considered when looking at the accessibility of these courses.
- Student reviews–We also wanted to know what students thought of the courses, so we read through student reviews and course ratings to get an idea of each course’s overall quality.
- Overall value— Finally,we looked at how much each course costs and whether it offers good value for money when compared to other similar courses.
After going through this exhaustive process, we came up with a curated list of what we believe are the 10 best courses teaching videography online.
What are the Best Online Videography Classes?
Here are our picks for the top videography courses you can take online in 2023…
This online videography course is perfect for beginners who want to start small and learn the basics of creating short, simple videos for online purposes.
42 lessons, 2 hours
Are you a newcomer to the video production industry who has no idea where to begin?
The goal of this online videography class is to educate you on the fundamentals of video production so that you can begin creating your own video material right away.
You’ll learn how to make your own short videos for your brand, company, or just for fun.
You’ll produce four short videos at the conclusion of the course, which you can include in your portfolio/reel.
It’s everything you need to know to start shooting video as a beginner.
You will learn
- How to make short videos for social media, YouTube, etc.
- The basics of video production
- Simple video tips to help you create high-quality short videos up to 5 minutes long
Learn the basics of why lighting is important in video production and how to use it to take your videos to the next level in this class.
Skillshare offers a One-Month Free Trial. After that, the Skillshare price is around $165 per year for unlimited access to all courses.
6 lessons, 30 minutes
The right lighting can change everything when it comes to making a video.
Get your lighting right, and you’ll have a final product that looks ready for the big screen.
Get your lighting wrong, and you’ll have a low-quality video that no one wants to watch.
This videography course goes over all of the basics of setting up your lighting to get the perfect shot that takes your videos to the next level.
You will learn
- The purpose of lighting in video production
- How to light a scene on location
- Colors in light
- How to create more depth in your shots using light
1.5 hours on-demand videos
Want to pursue cinematography? The first thing on your mind must be buying expensive gear that might cost an arm or leg.
But here’s the thing, you don’t actually need an expensive DSLR to start learning videography. Even if you’ve got a smartphone, you can create short videos and get the hang of basic videography.
This course is designed for beginners who have zero knowledge about video production.
This covers all the basics of video creation. Learners will be introduced to shot compositions, optimizing settings to create cinematic shots, and shooting in different settings (landscapes, sunsets, trees, day or night events, etc)
You will learn
- How to create videos using shot composition
- How to change camera settings to get optimal quality photos
- How to mimic cinematic movies and their movements
- How to get professional lighting
- How to work with storytelling in your shots
- How to film landscapes, people, and architecture like a pro
- How to create short films and improve social media content
1 hour on demand video
The crux of videography is capturing people’s best emotional moments. We don’t give enough credit to videographers. But the truth is, the amount of effort they put in shooting our most vulnerable yet happiest moments is impeccable!
Having said that, if you’re determined to become a wedding videographer, this course is just for you! It will teach you all the aesthetics of wedding cinematography.
However, it is advisable to get acquainted with the basics before you delve into shooting weddings. This one’s more of an intermediate-level course, preparing you to create high-end cinematic wedding films.
There are so many tiny details that eventually add up to the whole vibe and aesthetics of the wedding day. The color palette, venue, weather, angles, etc. And not to forget the type of equipment. The type of lens used and lighting are the most worrisome factors.
Ideally, as a professional videographer, you should have a meeting with your client to gauge their requirements and the type of portraits they want.
You will learn
- How to choose the right equipment for weddings
- How to edit transitions
- How to choose songs according to the themes
- How to get the perfect lighting for both day and night events
- How to use composition techniques
- How to work with different angles
- How to use flash without hindering the quality of the video
4 weeks (3 hours each week)
Videography is not just limited to creating short films and movies. You start from drafting the script, shooting the video to applying effects.
But it doesn’t just end here! There are many underlying factors that must be taken into account. The target audience, film distribution process, marketing campaign, etc.
In essence, this course will teach you how a film makes its way from the videographer’s desk to the cinema.
Apart from the technical skills of videography, this course will teach you how to analyze the audience. Identifying the audience becomes the basis for deciding the genre of the film. Categorizing an audience with a demographic or a socio-economic perspective will impact the genre of the film.
Moreover, adding persuasiveness is also important while promoting your film. This is where the skills of film distributors come into action. All the logistics involved in getting the film to the audience is the responsibility of the film distributor
You will learn
- How to identify the target audience
- How to decide the genre
- How to devise the marketing campaign
- How to work with the film distribution process
- How to allocate funds for distribution
- How to decide the release date and time
- How to decipher the expectations of the audience
- How to gauge market competition
- How to avoid distractions in film distribution
5.5 hours on-demand videos
If you already have a reasonable amount of experience, this course will give you an edge in the market. It is quite comprehensive yet innovative. From pre-production to post-production, it includes all precise details for creating market-oriented videos.
Participants learn production essentials such as camera latitude, picture profile, white balance, and ISO settings, etc. Moreover, the power of lenses and lighting gives rise to great videography content.
Hence, for a crisp and clear outcome, this course will be equipped with all the minute details about lighting and equipment. Using prime and zoom lenses for various settings, synthesizing lighting, and tweaking frame rates are all part of the production process.
As far as post-production is concerned, it’s all about track selection and finalizing all drafts.
Overall, this course will help you retain a lot of practical knowledge needed in filmmaking.
You will learn
- How to work with sound recordings in videos
- How to use different lenses and lighting
- How to use innovative video principles
- How to understand the concept behind shooting and editing a video
- How to use downloadable PDFs to track the video production process
- How to understand the pre-production process
- How to create characters, script, and shoot list
- How to match color, movement, and shapes
- How to use color grading
- How to work with montages
- How to create a rough edit
Are you looking to start your YouTube channel? And have you lost track of the whole process of video creation? Well, fret no more because this Video Production Bootcamp will set you on the right path!
It’s primarily focused on beginners who may want to start earning by posting videos online. You will not only learn the basics of video creation but also about social media dynamics.
This includes researching the most popular content and devising a content strategy accordingly.
The art of translating good content into views makes you stand out from other competitors. The more detailed your research, the better your video content!
Also, targeting the right audience through the right platform is another crucial factor in boosting your overall engagement levels.
Once you have a solid aptitude for videography and social media dynamics, you will be all set to start your own YouTube channel
You will learn
- How to record audio with microphones
- How to use natural lighting for videos
- How to boost engagement with video content
- How to shoot a video in manual mode
- How to shoot videos with webcams or screencasts
- How to do aerial videography using drones
- How to stabilize shots
- How to choose the right platform for uploading videos
- How to remove echo from audio
- How to use the three-point lighting system
Are you in the transition phase of photography to motion? If yes, then this course is a good fit for you! It consists of the densest study materials for learners to take advantage of. Also, the course instructor includes real-life case studies so learners can understand videography from a global perspective.
Towards the end of this course, you will be an intermediate-level videographer ready to create superb, converting video content.
All you need is a solid understanding of the DSLR camera settings and shooting in the right lighting. Also, a little research on your target audience will also give you an edge when posting your videos on different platforms. Decipher the potential reaction of your audience so you are aware of the needs that must be addressed.
You will learn
- How to create a film using DSLR
- How to do still photography using compositional skills
- How to navigate various video-capturing features
- How to add audio to shoots
- How to frame shots
- How to work with spatial relationships
- How to use the 180-degree rule
- How to do movement with monopods
- How to choose the right microphone
This course covers videography in commercial and personal contexts. It will teach you how to go about filming video interviews, corporate meetings, intimate wedding events, or even digital stories. It’s an all-in-one package for someone who is willing to expand their videography career.
You will learn
- How to become a visual storyteller
- How to design moving images
- How to create web commercials
- How to shoot a video interview
- How to use camera angles
- How to structure a story
- How to do micro-budget filmmaking
- How to sequence the shots
- How to use gears
2 hours on-demand videos
If you have just started exploring videography, this beginner will be your best companion! It covers all the basic modules necessary to give an overview of the whole essence of videography.
Choosing the right equipment and balancing the camera settings are all included. Imagine the delight of filming music videos, documentaries, sports events, or even concerts. Sounds great, but first, a decent amount of hands-on experience is crucial to stay away from blunders.
The beauty of this skill is that you do not need the ideal, high-tech setup to start off. Whether you have an old camera or a smartphone, you can still master the art of filming captivating videos.
This 2 hours course will focus on the pre-production plan, balancing lighting, changing shutter speed, changing ISO, and getting a clear focus. Additionally, you will have access to 11 downloadable resources to refer back to in case you want to recap how to use a certain tool
You will learn
- How to work with camera movements
- How to plan the entire process (shoot preparing, shoot dates, characters)
- How to set up equipment such as microphones, hard drives, and reflectors.
- How to balance shutter speed, ISO, and aperture
- How to use auto and manual focus
- How to use the padding and B-Roll technique for shooting
- How to work in natural and practical lighting
A Final Word on the Best Online Videography Courses
With the best online videography courses, you can quickly and conveniently improve your video production skills to earn more money or simply be better at your hobby.
Remember, most of these course providers offer free trial periods, giving you a great chance to check out classes at no cost to see which ones you like best.
Have any questions about our guide to the best online videography courses? Leave a comment to let us help.